Sunday, November 13, 2005

Sunday is MY day

My ideal Sunday morning is one that where I only get up if my body tells me to. The sound of jazz music softly fills the air. The house is dark with the hint of sunlight peeking through the cracks of the window blinds. But I don't even think of looking outside that window unless it is into the back yard just to look at a tree or my overgrown grass. If I really need to do any yardwork I'll get to it late in the afternoon. But Sunday is MY day. Yardwork is not a priority on Sunday.

Many Sunday mornings I may have a telephone conversation with my best friend of over 20 years. His name is David and he lives in another state. We usually call each other before David and his family go to church. Mostly it would be David calling me and waking me up! But since he got married he now has a larger extended family and now he and his wife also have a baby girl. So his life is busy with family on Sundays. I do my best to respect that. I am happy for David and his family.

In my ideal Sunday morning, I don't have to go anywhere. I might get dressed about 11 or 12. And I will have the CBS Sunday Morning recorded on TIVO just in case I did not wake up earlier to watch it at 9am. I have been watching this great laid back newsmagazine since the early days when the late Charles Kuralt hosted the show. If I wake up any earlier on Sunday I'll watch the local TV News to see any local band they may have perform in the studio, or the cooking segment or the animal segment. The local Sunday morning news here can be fun to watch. And I know the main news anchor from many events that we both have been a part of over the years. She is really a cool person.

While I am watching TV I may go online for no real reason at all. I might read the news, do a little reasearch on something or catch up on my e-mails but it is not likely that I will respond to any e-mails today. I really don't feel like communicating that way on Sundays. Then somewhere after noon I prepare something to eat. It could be breakfast food or I'll just get a good Sunday dinner kind of treat ready and that may be the only thing I have for the day.

If I have to go out at all, it has nothing to do with Church, or shopping. The church I occasionally attend has services on Sunday evening, so I have the entire day to fill or to do absolutely nothing. Sunday is mostly a day of rest for me even though I work most Sunday evenings. And today I have a monthly meeting that is held on the second Sunday at 2pm. So I have to get ready to go to that. You'll know more about those meetings with future posts, I dont have time to get into that right now.

Right now as I am posting this, am listening to one of my favorate jazz bands, The Crusaders were popular mostly in the 1970's.

I did look outside the window, it is another Chamber Of Commerce type of day outside. Sunny, not too cold or too warm and not a cloud in the sky. On Sundays like that I just may venture outside, but the pleasant feeling of that occasionally rings hollow for me for the reasons that I mentioned yesterday. But today I'm not going to think about being what I call "terminally single". Sundays in solitude are actually great for me.

No comments: