Saturday, November 12, 2005

I just want to walk, Thank You!

The other day I decided to take an extended walk. I was walking to work to retrieve one of my cars which had broken down at work. The car was repaired and I drove my good car home and had to go back to get the older car that had to be repaired. It was parked at work. And instead of getting a ride for the 3 mile trip or paying for a taxi I decided to walk. Besides I need the exercise! I am fat! And walking is not a bad idea for fat folks. I need to lose weight, so I need to get off of my fat rump and walk some pounds off.

So I take off for my walk and I cant go 10 minutes without being offered a ride. It seemed to shock everyone that I was walking somewhere. First, my neighbor who knows that I have two cars and a truck. "What happened? Why are you walking? Get in, I'll drive you" the neighbor pleads with me. He was concerned that I had broken down since he noticed that one of my vehicles had not been around for a couple of days. I told him that everything was ok I was walking to enjoy the beautiful day and a little exercise.

About half way to my destination a familiar truck passes by. I held my head down hoping that the driver won't recognize me because I really did not have time to talk and I wanted to continue my walk. But about three minutes later I hear a horn blow and I turn and there is that truck. Inside is this couple that I know. I have great respect for the both of them for their generousity and their intelligence. And I appreciate that they took the time to check on me and to ask if everything was ok. I assured them that I was fine and explained why I was walking. And even though I wanted to avoid them at first, it was good to see them as I know they plan to eventually leave the area. I continued on my walk.

I made it FIVE minutes before the next interruption in my walk. This one by a co-worker who was dropping her daugher off at the babysitter. By now I am less than a mile from work. I really wanted to continue my walk and I told my co-worker "Thanks, but I can make it the rest of the way and I will see you there soon." And I was sure that I would make it.

But then I arrived at the big intersection where I would have to cross a major highway during rush hour. I waited for the traffic light, but could not get across as todays drivers really dont give a damn about pedestrians. I want to walk but I don't want to get killed crossing this highway so I waited a few minutes. Then came two different co-workers. One a young guy barely into his 20's and the other a mother just a few years older than I. They both saw me at the same time and they both tried to get my attention. It was the motherly one that yelled "GET IN" and she must have meant it since she stopped in the middle of the street and held up traffic waiting for me! At that point I said "OK" and gave up on the idea that I was going to walk all the way to my destination.

Folks, I appreciate the kindness of offering me a ride while I walked in this not-so-small-town that behaves like it is a small town. But I just wanted to walk for a change. And it is a habit that I plan to get into once again and begin to lose weight.

I just want to walk, thank you!
And thank you for caring.

No comments: