Monday, November 21, 2005

Should you get your Honey where you make your MONEY?

This is a tough one. I have a policy of being very careful, but I wonder if I will ever break that policy for the right person. Hmmm....

Anyway, here is the policy and my opinion on it.

Love in workplace. It happens all of the time and in all kinds of work environments. But it is very risky. There is the very high risk of relationship drama entering the workplace. There is the possibility of distracting a worker from their responsibility. And it gives material to those who love to gossip. And we all know there is always gossip in the workplace.

I respect that people are human and when attrracted to other humans many are inclined to act on that attraction. But in the workplace, this could become a problem especially if either of the people within that "attraction" are involved in other relationships. Things can and usually do get very ugly very fast.

I must say that I too have felt some attraction to someone within the workplace. Thank god I have never shared those thoughts with anyone no matter how I wished something could happen. It just was not a good idea to even consider the possibilities with anyone. But I thought that I could quit a job for the right co-worker if they were willing to get involved with me. Hmmmmm.

(Slaps some common sense into me) I think I'll keep those thoughts to myself. I need this job more than I need to become a target of gossip. But if I find another job, all bets may be off!

I tend to mind my own business. And I will always strive to maintain that policy. So when co-workers get romantically involved, I look the other way and wish them well. It is none of my business. But if I enjoy working with either of the people involved I always hope that they will come to their senses and avoid a potential disaster. Or I at least keep my fingers crossed hoping that the relationship doesn't go sour and their personal relationship problems spill over into the workplace. Which is more likely to happen.

I don't need any drama in my life, which may be the main reason why I am and have always been single. And I prefer to not have anyone else's drama surrounding me at work.

No comments: