Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Closing Daniel's Book

I first heard this in passing on a morning radio show. Then I immediately went searching online for any news of this and found out that NBC has cancelled "The Book of Daniel" effective immediately. (News Article)

I am suspecting that the protesters will feel that this is a great achievement. They will surely gloat about it and they have fun with it. The American Family ASSociation will claim this as a victory.

I still feel that this was a stupid protest and a major waste of time. I still ask myself what these protesters could have accomplished if they focused on more important issues that really affect their daily lives. Like our economy for example. While these "Christians" were in an uproar over a fictional television show, 36,000 additional job cuts were announced by American corporations.

The truth is there were not many advertisers for the program. While watching I saw more promotions for NBC programs and their upcoming Olympics broadcasts that seemed like mini movies of their own. I just did not see many commercials, either national or local. So I could clearly understand that there had to be a loss of advertising revenue for the TV stations and the network broadcasting "The Book of Daniel". In fact, it was quietly reported that one NBC station pulled the show BECAUSE of the loss of their own advertising revenue. I was disappointed in Monroe Louisiana's KTVE but they are a business and I can't really blame them for their reason if it is true.

I actually enjoyed "The Book of Daniel" for a few minutes. I taped the episodes that aired and I am pleased that I had the opportunity to MAKE MY OWN DECISION to watch this show! I did not have to accept someone else making this decision for me. My local NBC affiliate did broadcast "The Book of Daniel" and I thank them for it.

I also thank the other 225 of the 232 NBC affiliates that recognized that the viewer has a mind of their own and could choose from many channels. Therefore giving them the option to watch or to not watch. Most people choose to NOT watch the show. Ratings were low for this program and for good reason. "The Book of Daniel" was not the best TV show in my opinion. But I did enjoy watching it. I enjoyed the freedom of MY choosing!

It's a shame that 2 percent of the United States of America could not choose for themselves because their local NBC station caved into pressure from a radical "christian" group from Mississippi.

Well, enough of my rant. The Book of Daniel is now closed.

Next...............

No comments: