Sunday, December 18, 2005

Merry Christmas/Happy Holidays or whatever

Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays or Bah Humbug!
What shall it be?
Folks, I have to tell you that this is not really my favorate time of year. And in 2005 I have even more reasons why.

Currently, there is a debate over whether or not people are taking "Christ" out of Christmas. The main focus of this debate is when people say "Happy Holidays" instead of "Merry Christmas". Christians get upset when people say "Happy Holidays. And non-christians feel left out when the focus is exclusively toward Christmas.

I personally think there is nothing wrong with saying "Happy Holidays" to a total stranger whose religious faith is unknown to me. It is also none of my business in regarding anyones faith or religious beliefs. I think it is rude to assume that someone is celebrating Christmas, Hannukah or whatever they choose in the month of December. To me, "Happy Holidays" isnt exactly a bad thing to say as it covers everything. If I offend someone whether or not I say "Merry Christmas", then maybe it is safer to not say nothing at all. Or can I say Bah Humbug? Thats where I am leaning.

I do have a problem with businesses suddenly calling Christmas Trees "holiday trees" when they have them for sale. For years, people have profited from selling "Christmas Trees", so why change the name just to please a few who may not celebrate Christmas. I also have a problem with so-called "holiday sales" when businesses know damn well that they are selling for the CHRISTMAS holiday. Because the Christmas holiday is the most commercialized holiday of the year. Even becoming more commercialized every year with the sales and the mad rush to the malls.

One HOLIDAY gripe that I have personally is when radio stations start playing "Christmas" music before Thanksgiving. This has become a popular trend around the United States. Radio stations around the country beging their "holiday programing" sometimes well over a month before Christmas Day. For someone like me who does not care for most "holiday music" this type of programing becomes tiresome before Thanksgiving. I don't want to hear another damn Christmas song at this point and I am typing this on December 5th!

There is one reason why radio stations do this, for ratings and commercial appeal. This is the perfect chance for retailers to advertise and many of the retailers are playing these holiday Christmas music stations on radios on their sales floor. All to get people into the shopping spirit. Only problem now is that it starts earlier and earlier every year. Some radio stations started right after Halloween. Thanksgiving has become nothing more than a day off to eat too much food and plan ones stragegy for shopping the next morning.

This is just too much BS, so I think I'll sit this holiday out. (Excuse me, Christmas)

Oh hell, I'll go ahead and say it......BAH HUMBUG!!

Whew!

Bartender, I'll take that egg nog STRONG please.

No comments: