Monday, December 26, 2005

The best of 2005

Now that we have reached the end of 2005, there will be many "Best of" lists for the year. And I thought that I would do the same. And the list may change before January 1, 2006. So if you read this before then, please check back to see if I have edited or added anything to the list.

The BEST of 2005 (in no specific order)

Actually, I will declare this the best move of 2005, quitting my job! Leaving the madness and disorganization behind. It became a decision between life and work. Work had been physically and mentally draining for me. I was very close to a breakdown and I realized that it was not worth it. I had to get the hell out of what had become an insane workplace before I ended up in an insane asylum. I wanted to actually have time (and sanity) for having a "life" and being able to do things socially. This would not be possible if I had continued with the job that I had. Ironically, as I am editing this, that former employer has announced its closing in early 2006. I guess the insanity has finally caught up with them.

Quitting my job could also be the worst move of 2005 as it did cause a destructive meltdown of my finances. But at least I am happier.



The Return of Piggly Wiggly! Hey, I live in the South! And having a Piggly Wiggly grocery store in your Southern hometown is a birth right. OK not really, but it is just fun saying "Piggly Wiggly".

There are many owners of stores called Piggly Wiggly. The owners of the "local" Piggly Wiggly chain where I live changed the name of their stores in the mid 1990's. And many older Piggly Wiggly stores were closed. Now under new ownership, the crappy stores we knew as "FoodMax" were all changed back to the old Piggly Wiggly name. And the stores actually improved some.

But again, I just like saying Piggly Wiggly.

Friends: I know I have friends and I am lucky. They know who they are and I appreciate all of them. And just before Christmas I made a connection online with an old friend that I had lost contact with at least 15 years ago. And it was great to make that contact and to know that he is doing fine. I hope we will keep in touch.

My family reunion: I was definitely stressed out because of my career change and resulting financial problems. But the family reunion was a great break for me. We traveled to the family home in Alabama and later to a concert at the Alabama Music hall of Fame featuring my father Eddie Floyd. It turned out to be a great weekend getaway.

The inspiration of youth: A group of high school students in Gainesville Georgia started a Gay-Straight Alliance at their High School and faced stiff opposition from their school and their community. But these teens, their family and friends fought against that opposition bringing the discussion of gay issues in school and the small town south to the forefront. One of the teens, Kerry Pacer was declared "Person of The Year" by The Advocate magazine. And her mother is president of the new PFLAG chapter in the area.

The teens from White County GA stood up for themselves. And there are many who are inspired by their courage.

My mother's rest: Although I miss my mother. I am much happier that I don't have to see her suffering again. She is at rest now.

My own personal peace: I have always had this personal turmoil within over anything. But now I really don't care. I accept things as they come and I deal with it. Every year I develop a new level of peace with many issues. And I feel stronger about them.

"Weeds": My brand new favorite TV show! (On Showtime) debued in the summer of 2005 It may only be 30 minutes long, but it is a well written and funny program for those of us with unique senses of humor. I guess you have to have "grown up" in a variety of areas to really understand why I love this show.

The end of "Six Feet Under" & "Queer As Folk": Two TV shows I watched regularly ended their runs in 2005. I loved both of these shows for different reasons. And both shows left as strongly as they came. They stayed on exactly as long as needed to avoid becoming stale. For many of the actors, doing these shows was a bold and courageous move that could haunt them in their career. But they played their roles well. And I wish all of the actors on both shows much success in their future roles. And same for the producers and writers of these programs. Thanks for taking those bold steps! I will be enjoying DVD collections of these TV programs for years to come.

Earth, Wind & Fire: I saw this legendary music group in concert this year. It was just what I needed-to see one of my favorite groups in concert for the first time. And I am a long time fan! I was buying Earth, Wind and Fire record albums 30 years ago with money I earned delivering newspapers and running errands for elderly neighbors but never saw them live. I do own their live albums so I knew they would jam. But this was the greatest concert I have attended! Mostly original and they still got it! And they have a great album this year too!

No comments: