Monday, December 26, 2005

The last visit with a smile.

Today marks the first anniversary of the last time I saw my mother alive. It was during my Christmas visit to her nursing home in Ft. Lauderdale. I was still working for an employer and had a difficult schedule. So I could not travel as often as I would have liked to see her. My next planned visit was to be for Mother's Day. But that weekend would become the time of our memorial service for her.

After my visit, her health rapidly declined and she died in April. Much to the dismay of a few, I chose not to be with her in her final days. I did not want to watch my mother die. I enjoyed my visit with her last Christmas as she was smiling and in a happy mood. And I am glad that is my last physical vision of her. I believe that helped in accepting her death. She would no longer suffer and I was pleased with that.

I don't mourn the loss of my mother. I celebrate her life by living. But I must take a minute to reflect and confirm my utmost gratitude for all that she means to me and my sister.

This is also the week of my final visit with my grandmother two years ago. Again, that last vision of my grandmother was one of a smiling old woman in a very happy mood. A time of laughing and joking. And I am happy that she is also no longer suffering.

I have had my time with my Mother and grandmother here in this world. They did all that they could do and more. For that I am forever thankful and glad they are now at peaceful rest.

No comments: