Tuesday, June 07, 2011

He blocks his music on YouTube, I block his birthday

There is this musician based in Minneapolis. He's been around a little over 30 years. He's kinda little physically but his career sure has been big. I mean huge! If he wants to have a concert in a big stadium he will have no problem filling every seat. Then those in attendance might get to see the musician prance around the stage wearing pants with the butt cut out so you can see his little flat beige ass while rocking his guitar.

The musician I am talking about is a legend. And he is loved by many, even by me despite my anger with him on today, his birthday.

Why am I angry. Well this musician is very tight on the use and release of his music. It is his right but it is unnecessary. He has traditionally employed difficult tactics in releasing his music so his fans can enjoy.

I remember when this musician released a 3 CD "hits" set in 1993 when the average price of a single compact disc was about $20. This musician released his "Hits" CD's as a separate purchase of either "Hits 1" or "Hits 2", but the best songs were on "Hits 3" and you could not purchase "Hits 3" by itself. You had to purchase the entire 3 CD set at a price that was more than double that of buying "Hits 1" & "Hits 2" separately and combined. So technically this would mean $40-50 dollars for the "Hits 3" CD. And back then I just couldn't afford to pay so much for what really was so little.

In the years since there were albums that were sold underground therefore required extensive work from this musician's fans to get and enjoy his music. Then he changed his name to a symbol. Another stupid gimmick and fast forward to today where we have YouTube, the main source of music posted on this blog and this musician is one of the last holdouts to allowing his music to be played on YouTube. Most of his songs are blocked, muted or quickly removed. And because of that I am unable to post anything by this musician and I am unable to post a "Soul Salute" or any type of tribute in honor of this legendary musician's birthday.

Currently there are some songs available from this musician on YouTube. Perhaps they are songs uploaded that he hasn't caught up with. But I won't waste time posting his music and risk that the links don't work in the future.

I haven't mentioned this musician's name, but I don't have to. You probably know who I am talking about now. Below are some of the classics he wrote and recorded but were also hits from other performers.

Like this song from the entertainer who shares a birthday with that musician. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TOM JONES! (Born Thomas John Woodward on June 7, 1940)


And other famous songs by that musician that were hits by other artists who aren't so restrictive of their material on YouTube.

Me'lisa Morgan "Do Me Baby"


"I Feel For You" by Chaka Khan


"Purple Rain" by Randy Crawford


Now if you want to hear the music of the musician himself. Go ahead and find it elsewhere. When this musician makes his music easier for his fans to listen to without going bankrupt then I will give him the proper respect here at Pride and Soul. But I do wish that musician a happy birthday.

No comments: