Monday, October 02, 2006

Chevrolet Corvette

Today I had a great treat.

I mentioned to some that I was treating myself to a Corvette. Yes, the Chevrolet Corvette sports car that I have loved for a lifetime.

Well, I did treat myself to a Corvette today. Actually several Corvettes!

(What, did you think I was actually going to buy one? Whatever gave you that idea LOL!)

I spent a few hours at the NATIONAL CORVETTE MUSEUM in Bowling Green Kentucky. Which is across the street from the General Motors Factory that builds the Chevrolet Corvette and now also builds the Cadillac XLR roadster.


I had been wanting to go to Bowling Green for a very long time having promised myself that if I ever travel close enough to area (within 100 miles or passing by) then I would have to stop at this museum and spend a couple hours with some fantastic cars.

I attended a wedding in Nashville on Saturday, Bowling Green is about an hour away. So Today was finally the day. Sadly, I could not include the actual tour of the automobile factory as they don't have tours on weekends. But I took photos of the area. Cameras are NOT allowed inside the factory.


Also not allowed are cars made by other manufacturers. Luckily I only drive GM vehicles as my own personal preference. So if I visit the plant, I could park closer to the building.



NON General Motors vehicles have to use designated parking that is FAR from the building. I compare it to banishing smokers to the far reaches of the property. It sucks to be a Ford doesn't it? LOL (sorry)

At least the "Non GM" parking lot is paved.


Inside the museum were lots of Corvettes from concept cars, to each model and body style. There were also personal customized cars on loan to the museum and a special section called "The Corvette Nursery" where someone purchasing a brand new Corvette can accept delivery of their very own car FROM the museum. It is the closest thing to picking up the car from the factory itself.

There is also a theatre presentation and a gift shop. And there are many events for Corvette car clubs and memberships to the museum itself.

The National Corvette Museum is a true haven for fans of the Chevrolet Corvette. Here are some of the photos I took during my near three hour visit.


NEW Vettes waiting for their owners to accept delivery.
The museum had a owner delivery presentation program. You order your new car, fly in to Bowling Green and your new car is presented to you (almost) directly from the factory across the street.


Below are some of the cars on display and my favorate exhibits.






Individuals and clubs can STILL purchase specially engraved bricks for placement in the sidewalk in front of the National Corvette Museum


I found this sidewalk brick from the area where I live.


I definitely plan to return to the museum as the cars on display change often. And I want to spend a great amount of money at the museum gift shop. Also across the street is a car dealership that specializes in classic American Muscle Cars. More to dream about.


And most definitely, I have to return at a time when the assembly plant is open for tours.

Sadly, I did not get to take one of the Vette's home. But I did enjoy my road trip companion, the 2007 Chevrolet Malibu LTZ with the V-6 engine and nearly everything including OnStar and Remote start.

This Malibu is a NICE CAR! And if given a chance, this car will run circles around those Camry's and Accords. It really is that good.

No comments: