Thursday, May 07, 2009

(Some of) My All-time "Quiet Storm" classics

You might think that my choosing these songs in a blog titled "E's ALL-TIME Quiet Storm" classics" would mean I may know something about love or romance or love making. Far from the truth! I still hold the distinction of having NEVER found that someone special much less ever having had a "date" or anything close to it. I am long over that and have accepted my failures in that arena to be destiny.

But I have always loved some music that is often shared by couples. Some of this may be called "baby making music". I just call them good songs that I have enjoyed through the years while I am very detached from the meaning of the songs.

So this lists videos of SOME but by no means all and not even a chance of listing any songs in any order. These are just random picks from my favorite nights listening to Vaughn Harper hosting WBLS "Quiet Storm" show in New York, or Huey Anderson of my hometown WEDR 99.1 in Miami or Freddie Cruz of Miami's "hot 105 Quiet Storm" or Mel Devonne's "Love Zone" show. Or the pioneering program of the "quiet storm" genre that is still heard over Washington DC's WHUR. These were some of the great songs that made for great and peaceful nights.


Enjoy if you want to feel soulfully good.

Atlantic Starr (1982)



Chapter 8 Featuring Anita Baker (1980) "I just want to be yours"




Luther Vandross and Cheryl Lynn (1981) "If this world were mine"


The Isley Brothers (1975) "Sensuality"


Deniece Williams (1977) "Cause You Love Me Baby" produced by Maurice White of Earth Wind & Fire


Love Unlimited (1974) " I belong to you" produced by Barry White, husband of Love Unlmited lead singer Glodean James-White


And speaking of Barry White, who may be considered the KING of "baby making music" during the 1970's and certainly one of the mainstays of any "quiet storm" broadcast.

"I've Got So Much to Give" (1973) title song to the album of the same name. And sadly a short version is all I could find on YouTube.


AND FOR ME THERE MUST BE SOME PHYLLIS HYMAN!!

"The answer is You" (1978)



And finally, but certainly not the last of my choices would be Phyllis Hyman's best friend, ANGELA BOFILL and her priceless song "I Try"from 1979




If there is any question about my seriousness in my love of QUALITY OLD SCHOOL, I hope this answers that question.

I ain't fooling when it comes to my old schooling!

No comments: