Monday, April 20, 2009

I thought "tea bagging" meant Lipton and a cup of hot water

I know I don't get out much. Even if I tried it doesn't work out so well so I do keep myself busy with work and it keeps me occupied. But there are many things I have missed out on. LOTS of things I have missed out on. Some good and thankfully I have also avoided things that I probably would never understand.

Having said that, I have learned TWO things in recent weeks, I completely missed them as if I were living under a rock. And in the case of these two things I have learned, I am go glad I missed them. I do find them amusing and I know people who enjoy such things well enough to think that I am a total "square" who is completely ignorant of the ways of today's world.

So be it, let me be ignorant.

I didn't need to know the meaning of "Tea Bagging" when people staged protest events for Tax Day, April 15th. I thought of "Tea bagging" as the STUPID idea of sending tea bags to members of congress. Little did I know that "tea bagging" meant dipping somehing somewhere.....perhaps a Lipton or Tetley into a cup of hot water? Oh, in a sense, I guess if his name was Lipton or her name was Luzianne or someone had the nickname "tetley" or they had "red diamonds" in their collection.

If you are like I was and did not know what "tea bagging" means to some segments of society, I am not going to help you figure that out. I'm too shy to say. I do find it amusing that certain news commentators and talk radio show hosts, ESPECIALLY THE GAY ONES,found great amusement out of people using the "Tea Bagging" phrase and suddenly the conservative politial pundits stopped using the phrase and FOX News began bleeping the phrase out whenever they played a video or audio clip of anyone saying the phrase "tea bagging" and the tax protests were now called "Tea parties". Wow I guess "tea bagging" is a bad word now.

I can see a connection between what I have learned about "tea bagging" with the tax protests of April 15th and what I learned about April 20th, or as it has been declared "FOUR- TWENTY DAY". I don't have glaucoma or the munchies at the moment, so I don't see how I would need to celebrate "four twenty day". But I do enjoy the TV show "weeds".

I learned today that April 20th is considered "four twenty day" for those who wish to make the use of marijuana legal. Yes, 4-20 is the day to celebrate the human catnip. I had NO idea.

I always say its good to learn something new everyday. I need to rethink that. Some things are best not learned. At least for a nerd like me.

One good thing about these new discoveries is that learning about "tea bagging" helped me cut back on my heavy TEA DRINKING.

Oh, but there are SOME tea-bags are calling my name!

No comments: