Sunday, January 21, 2007

I'm not the only one in a time warp!



For a few weeks, SOUL TRAIN is running "The Best of Soul Train" which is complete CLASSIC episodes of the longest running syndicated television show in history.




I discovered this by accident and confirmed it online.

Then I looked up the program guide and discovered it was on very early Sunday morning and so I woke up early to watch The Sugar Hill Gang and Patrice Rushen on an episode that originally aired in 1981.











Like many, I grew up watching Soul Train every Saturday and yes, I did watch this very episode pictured. Back then it was the first time I saw The Sugar Hill Gang on Soul Train but it was at least a year after I first heard their song "Rappers Delight". This was the early stages of popular RAP music when it was all about just having fun with music and words.

I hate to sound like the "stick in the mud" or the old fogie (sp) that I am turning into but, I prefer the more gentlemen like presence of RAP music from "back in the day". When rappers spoke in an interview and you could understand what they said. Their pants were pulled all the way up covering their butts and you did not have to bleep or blur anything audible or visual out. There was no violence back then, no calling people Bitches or Ho's either. Rappers actually called women LADIES although that term could have been questioned on an indvidual basis but still, there was some respect back in the day.

Rapping was a way to have a party and a good time. Or to showcase your vocal style, DJ mixing or dance moves. But on "Soul Train" it was purely LIP SYNC. (silently mouthing while the actual record was playing) And we enjoyed the hell out of it.



And tonight, the classic Soul Train episode will air on my local NBC station at 11:00. My DVR is set to record and to quote Don Cornelius, "you can bet you last cash, It's gonna be a stone blast honey"! I think thats what he used to say.




Anyway in parting from this blog I quote Don Cornelius again in wishing you.....
Love, peace and SOUL!

No comments: