Tuesday, March 31, 2009

WMAZ deletes my comment on Christians and booze

You may know that most newspaper and Television news websites offer message boards where people can respond to a news story by posting their comment. Most of the time, these message boards are breeding grounds for posters who have no life and who take advantage of the online forum to post comments that can be hateful. Sometimes you'll see a comment from someone with an intelligent opinion or you might see a comment that tells it like it is.

I try not to spend too much time reading online message boards when they are frequented by people who are only there to start trouble. But occasionally I do get caught up on some story and i'll express myself.

I did express my thoughts on a story posted on a local television station website (www.13wmaz.com). The story was about the state of Georgia's legislature failing to approve a bill that would allow the sale of alcoholic beverages on Sunday. The mostly conservative and deeply religious polticians in our state capital have once again kissed the rear-ends of the Christian community by restricting the freedom of choice of a consumer to purchase their drink of choice on what is considered 'The Lord's Day".

Well, this is the text of my comment posted on WMAZ-TV's website.


"EFloyd wrote:
I wonder how many of these "christians" who approve of restricting the freedom of a consumer's choice to purchase Alcohol any day they choose but celebrates "freedom" on the fourth of July. How many of those same "christians" fly our American flag proud of our country and the illusion of "freedom" it represents?"


What I posted was a knee jerk reaction after reading their story. Not much different than any other posts on the site. But most of the regular posters there were in favor of the Sunday alcohol ban. Many express their religious beliefs frequently in most news stories especially if the story involves buying beer on Sunday, being gay or a woman's right to her own body....aka Abortion.

Less than 12 hours after I posted my comment it was deleted for violating the "Terms of service". I don't remember saying anything as a direct insult. I thought I was posting a question and calling out hypocracy as I see it. People post things all the time on that website about race issues and use the usual stereotypes. Most of those posts remain. But if one dares to call out the hyprocracy of the christian community, their voice gets silenced on 13WMAZ.com.

Well another poster on the website actually copied my original post as he responded to it.

ChrisWR wrote:
"EFloyd wrote:
I wonder how many of these "christians" who approve of restricting the freedom of a consumer's choice to purchase Alcohol any day they choose but celebrates "freedom" on the fourth of July. How many of those same "christians" fly our American flag proud of our country and the illusion of "freedom" it represents?

Can we answer this with one word....HYPROCRATES!!"

What's a hypocrate? Is that like a hypocrite, just bigger?

I'm a believer in Christ, but I feel that the Sunday ban on liquor sales is just ignorant. If it's going to be sold every other day of the week, it should be sold in Sunday as well. Being that many Christians believe that they shouldn't drink alcohol, it shouldn't really matter to them whether or not it's sold on Sunday, as they won't be drinking it in the first place.


So he pointed out that I misspelled the word "hyprocrite". MY BAD!

But what I was thinking when I posted that comment was that I live in a very patriotic environment where people love God AND this country. They tie them both toghether and show their pride. I don't have a problem with that. I do believe in God and I am proud to be a American. But I am not proud of Americans who say they believe in freedom but at the same time they use their religious beliefs to restrict the freedoms of American citizens. Whether its the sale of alcohol on Sunday or same-sex couples having a fairly respected and LEGALLY recognized relationship.

I call it hypocracy and I challenge anyone to prove me wrong.

No comments: