Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Condolences and contempt

I don't know this family but I would like to offer my condolences to the family of the late Jake Rocker. He was the driver of an SUV that had a collision with a dump truck near my community. Jake Rocker was killed in the accident.The accident occurred on a major road leading into the city where I live. I drive the road daily and had to detour because of this accident in the morning rush hour.

The family of Jake Rocker is surely mourning the unexpected loss of their loved one. However the local newspaper chose to report this fatal accident by reminding the public of Jake Rocker's son. His son happens to be a former baseball player. Jake Rocker's son is former Atlanta Braves pitcher John Rocker.

Thats where the story should end. The Rocker family lost one of its members in an automobile accident. There was no reason for the media to go into any details of past events that had NOTHING to do with the man and the tragic car accident that happened yesterday morning. I won't mention any of those past events as the world has moved on from those events. But appearantly the Macon Telegraph has not.

I have said recently that I am all about freedom of speech. That speech should be used with some respect under circumstances like this. The family has to deal with a death and funeral. Let them mourn in peace.

My condolences to the Rocker family at their time of loss. No family deserves to lose anyone in a horrible accident like that.

and my contempt for the news media for their reporting of the event. It wasn't necessary to include the history of the deceased' son's controversal career.

Just my opinion.

No comments: